Wednesday, February 15, 2012

one little word 2012: intentional

have you heard of choosing "one little word" at the beginning of each year? essentially it is your theme for the year (and i did choose it at the beginning of the year, i've just been slow to write about it). i don't know if this lady is the one who started the idea, but i like what she said about it, "In 2006, I began a tradition of choosing one word for myself each January - a word that I can focus on, meditate on, and reflect upon as I go about my daily life. These words have each become a part of my life in one way or another. They've been imbedded into who I am, and into who I'm becoming. They've been what I've needed (and didn't know I needed). They've helped me to breathe deeper, to see clearer, and to grow." 

even though i have seen some of my friends do this for years, i actually didn't set out to choose a word. but as i began to think of my goals for 2012 and the person i want to become this year, it hit me. these things don't just happen. life moves by too quickly and unless i am intentional about the things i am doing and the person i am striving to become, it's not going to happen. i am going to look back at the time that has passed and wonder what i have done with it. i don't want to regret lost or wasted time.  i want to stop talking about the things i want to do and actually do them! i want to be deliberate and purposeful in the way i live my life each day. these thoughts reminded me of  a talk i gave in sacrament meeting back in june. julie b. beck, the relief society general president said, “We know that we are involved in God’s work every day, and that changes everything. It changes the way we think. It changes our decisions. It changes the way we dress. It changes the way we talk. It changes the way we live...[it] means we have to be intentional about everything we do. Our life is not just happenstance. We know where we are going and what we have to do" (emphasis added).

i went to the temple last month with my word in mind and jotted down some of my impressions following the session i attended. impressions about how i can be more intentional as a wife, mother, individual (my personal goals), relief society president and be more intentional with my family. i want to be more intentional about how i spend my time, how i take care of myself, the relationships that are important to me. i think if i keep this word in mind, i will begin to be a little bit better and i figure even small progress is still progress! 

No comments: