Saturday, February 20, 2010

olympic thoughts

like most people, i love the olympics. some of the thoughts and memories i had last week while i was watching the opening ceremonies (wearing my 2002 canada olympic sweatshirt) were:
  • standing outside in the cold just to catch a glimpse of the olympic torch as it passed through provo.
  • opening my mission call the evening of the 2002 opening ceremonies. later that night as i watched the opening ceremonies (on a date strangely enough) and saw the athletes from canada walk in i thought to myself, "hello friends, i'm coming to visit!"
  • being together with my family as we all met in slc to attend a few events. it was amazing to be at the olympics. there was such an incredible feeling there.
  • i love vancouver! i visited a year and a half ago (during the summer olympic opening ceremonies) and fell in love. i decided at that time that i could totally live there. it is the best of both worlds, a big cosmopolitan city and gorgeous mountains and tons of outdoor activities.
  • a love for canada in general. when they were doing the piece on canada and the usa's relationship (before the opening ceremonies started) i got teary.
  • listening to "oh canada" and remembering how we sang it at every zone conference (i sang along in my head, except the french part)
while this post seems like a tribute to canada, don't worry, i am cheering for the usa!! i am a proud american (who just happens to be a lover of canada).

ps - it is so hard for me to watch anyone, from any country crash. my heart just breaks for them.

2 comments:

Megs said...

We went to Vancouver last summer and really want to go back. It was wonderful and I feel like we didn't even get close to seeing all it has to offer. The Olympics have been really fun thanks to dvr so I don't have to watch the whole cross country skiing race :)

Chris & Kimber said...

Its still crazy to me how much you and I are alike. I totally have been wearing my Canada sweatshirt during the olympics. And when ever they sing "Oh Canada" I totally have been singing it with them. It has been making me think a lot about my time in Canada and how much I love it there and miss it.